Congratulations on signing up for your first Daniel Barden Mudfest! You may have a few questions – luckily, we have answers! Please read below to learn more about how you can best prepare yourself for a day of fun in the mud.
- Keep your eyes on other participants. Watch how they tackle the obstacles, and then go for it. Trying out a technique that has worked for others will likely work for you, too.
- Stay hydrated. This is important for any race you’re in, including a mud run. Not to mention, having a gallon or two of water on hand in your car can help you hose off a bit at the end while you’re waiting for the shower.
- Train. Yes, like any other race, you’ll need to train. Overestimate and train for a longer distance than the run itself. And make sure you don’t forget arm and leg days – you’ll need strength in both of these areas for the mud run and the obstacles you’ll face.
- The more the merrier. If it’s your first time, it’s always a great idea to run with a friend – especially if your friend is a Mudfest veteran! Running with a partner or as a team can make your first mud run go much more smoothly, and of course, it’s a great way to make lasting memories!
- Dress appropriately. Old sneakers are a must. Your shoes will likely get ruined, so no need for your most expensive kicks on the course. Dress as lightly as possible, and avoid clothing made of cotton or with pockets. Don’t wear anything you don’t want ruined or worry about throwing out afterward. And consider tighter clothing like compression tights and under armor.
- Practice your army crawl. You’ll want to keep your knees above the ground to keep them from getting scraped up by rocks, twigs or obstacle elements.
- It’s okay to go around obstacles. If you’re not comfortable trying a certain obstacle, don’t do it. While we love a good challenge, sometimes it’s much better to stay safe and avoid injury. Our mud run is supposed to be fun – knowing your limitations is one way of keeping it just that!
We’ll keep you posted on all things Mudfest, too.
First-timers can stay up-to-date on all the latest race information by joining our email list (no spam, just valuable race information, we promise!) Click below to subscribe, and thank you for your interest in the Daniel Barden Mudfest.
[Join Our Email]